Capcom is open for sale!

The general forum for talk about all things BumbleKingy!

Capcom is open for sale!

Postby Meliden » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:36 am

Apparently, Capcom has had a takeover defence in place for a while. Yesterday, the shareholders voted to stop it.

What does this mean in layman's terms? If a company so desires, it can buy shares of Capcom and, if there's enough, take over them. This would effectively make them like Rare is to Microsoft right now.

Bear in mind that it's not just gaming companies that might be interested, the mobile sector might want a piece.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Re: Capcom is open for sale!

Postby Illustrious Q » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:39 am

Depends on who is fast enough to buy the 51%.

I see Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all gunning for the company for the game companies.

EA might, but if they did I don't see the comic lasting and I don't see anything of quality coming out should that happen.

Facebook and Google might go for it, both for different reasons.
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Radz the Hedgehog » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:46 am

I'm hoping Nintendo ponies up the money. Out of all the companies out there right now, Nintendo best fits that old Capcom feel to me...mostly just because I think they'd be the most likely to kick their butts in gear and give us a new Mega Man.
Radz the Hedgehog
BumbleKnight

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:23 am

If Nintendo does by Capcom, that would be great! ...If nintendo made Mega Man Starforce 4 or better yet, a Mega man Starforce Collection for the 3ds,That would be amazing. Considering I only played Starforce 2: Zeker X Ninja, I wanted to play the first & the 3rd, but I don't wanna locate them all.
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby squeakyboots13 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:31 am

If Nintendo were to pick this up and then start making new Mega Man games, that would be great.

Hopefully the comic won't be affected by whatever happens.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby ShadowBat20 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:36 am

*crosses fingers* Come on Nintendo, this is your chance to get Mega Man...go for it!
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby Spin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:05 pm

I just hope it's not Microsoft, EA or King. Love Mega Man, but nothing short of destroying every Wii U and PS4 console will get me to consider getting a Xbox One.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby streetsonic13 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:06 pm

You guys do realize that once Nintendo took over Capcom, it is not just about Mega Man. All of the company's IPs will be owned such as Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry, and even the niches titles such as Monster Hunter and Darkstalkers/Vampire.

You have to keep in mind, I don't want Nintendo suddenly become the actual owners and then make the other IPs exclusively for their consoles. That's a BIG NO-NO.
streetsonic13
BumbleCitizen

Postby Radz the Hedgehog » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:17 pm

streetsonic13 wrote:You guys do realize that once Nintendo took over Capcom, it is not just about Mega Man. All of the company's IPs will be owned such as Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry, and even the niches titles such as Monster Hunter and Darkstalkers/Vampire.

You have to keep in mind, I don't want Nintendo suddenly become the actual owners and then make the other IPs exclusively for their consoles. That's a BIG NO-NO.

It's not that, but rather the fact that most people think Nintendo's the best one to nurture THAT IP over the others. Honestly, I'm not sure they'd do so well with the rest, which is why I wish they could just buy the IPs piecemeal rather than buying the entire company that's not really a great fit.

Monster Hunter would probably be the only other one since the Wii U and 3DS versions seemed to be a hit.
Radz the Hedgehog
BumbleKnight

Postby GameBuddy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't any "purchase" under these rules be considered a "hostile takeover"? I doubt anything is going to change hands any time soon.
GameBuddy
BumbleCult

Postby Illustrious Q » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:33 pm

It would indeed, but all that would gave to happen is acquiring 51% of the stock in the company regardless of whether or not the board approves of it or not.

Greatest Majority Share Holder becomes company owner.

It may take months to happen, but I do see someone buying up 51% of Capcom sooner rather than later.
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:10 am

Copy Pasting my post from the locked Mega Man Forum version of this thread.

Not sure what this will mean for the comic but hopfully it means little. If Nintendo buys Capcom that doesn't necessarily mean the book will be cancled Nintendo have said recently that they're willing to expand to other media.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Meliden » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:53 am

As it turns out, Capcom have already gone in negotiations with another company. The company in question?

Spoiler: show
Tencent Holdings Ltd.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Illustrious Q » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:50 am

Well, that will be the end of Mega Man and a slew of other Capcom IPs.
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Radz the Hedgehog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:11 am

Well, they already own significant stock in Epic and Riot and apparently are a rather successful company (up there with Google and Facebook). There's still hope.
Radz the Hedgehog
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to The BumbleKourt