Is Bumbleking becoming toxic to us?

The general forum for talk about all things BumbleKingy!

Re: Is Bumbleking becoming sickening to us?

Postby BlueBlur62391 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:05 pm

The KKM wrote:Anyways I was about to suggest a subforum be made solely for forum games and randomness so that open nonsense on other threads be redirectioned there, but being fair we already have Posts of Randomness? It might be a good idea regardless. I don't know, I see this forum mostly as a possible first forum for many, and thus tolerate its bad points further than in other places since I see it as newbies learning how to behave online. Heck I certainly also did a good amount of learning here. But if that is an implicit intention, an open friendly helpful place for veteran and 9-year-old alike, it should perhaps be a bit reworkded to facilitate that.
Awesome! Want me to pass that on to LBD?
BlueBlur62391
BumbleNoble

Re: Is Bumbleking becoming sickening to us?

Postby ChaosJam » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:40 pm

BillNoSpoilers wrote:
The KKM wrote:Anyways I was about to suggest a subforum be made solely for forum games and randomness so that open nonsense on other threads be redirectioned there, but being fair we already have Posts of Randomness? It might be a good idea regardless. I don't know, I see this forum mostly as a possible first forum for many, and thus tolerate its bad points further than in other places since I see it as newbies learning how to behave online. Heck I certainly also did a good amount of learning here. But if that is an implicit intention, an open friendly helpful place for veteran and 9-year-old alike, it should perhaps be a bit reworkded to facilitate that.
Awesome! Want me to pass that on to LBD?

I'm pretty sure KKM has the ability to bring up the subject of a new sub-forum to one of the mods himself, he may already have anyway.
And it's not like the mods aren't monitoring this thread anyway since it's in relation to their site.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Re: Is Bumbleking becoming toxic to us?

Postby BlackHawkOmega » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:40 am

I don't know about a whole subforum dedicated to the 'wacky' people. It just wastes space.
BlackHawkOmega
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:34 am

I know it does. But again, the alternative is having further moderation to control the "wacky people" in the other threads. And as shown by Mobian's post in this thread, what you and me consider useless wackyness the newcomers will consider harmless fun. And then when they get tired of it already a new generation will be doing it. Every time a bunch of new members comes, they'll try to be wacky and funny- I find this is just something general with very young users, and this forum constantly has new very young users. Hence doing a board just for it- we won't be able to stop it so we might as well syphon it away.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Lord Exor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:13 am

I would say the forum is toxic only insofar as its tendency to ostracize dissenting viewpoints. It has been like this for as long as I can remember.
Lord Exor
BumbleNoble

Postby ChaosJam » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:29 am

BlackHawkOmega wrote:I don't know about a whole subforum dedicated to the 'wacky' people. It just wastes space.

It also wastes space when people derail topics by constantly dropping their "ability" to crack jokes and keep juggling it until a mod has to yell at them. And its been getting worse because I've seen mods have to yell at the posters twice already in some threads to get back on topic.
I agree that sometimes jokes can be used to break tension or if the setup is there, which results in everyone's amusement. However, lately there have been more and more newcomers just wanting to do the whole "look at how funny I am!" and just not dropping it while other newcomers jump on because, well, they are new and don't know what's going on or how some discussions are handled.

Lord Exor wrote:I would say the forum is toxic only insofar as its tendency to ostracize dissenting viewpoints. It has been like this for as long as I can remember.

I can tell you it don't remember it always being like that but I agree as of late. I know Exor has a much different viewpoint on the comic/fandom than I do. Do I disagree with it somethings? Yes. Do I attack him for it? No. Everyone needs to manage their emotions, now more than ever. The lashing out because someone likes or dislikes something is getting old. And like I've said, I'm probably being a hypocrite because I'm sure I've done it in the past too; probably recently since I've bottled up a lot of my thoughts concerning this whole subject but I know that I am wrong when I post like that.

Mind you, however, that some people do seem to post only to push a person's or group of persons' buttons which is getting old too.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby LilacDownDeep » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:49 am

No, the problem is the lashing BACK. We're grownups here, we can learn to calmly refute arguments without leaning towards being nasty to one another.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby SurrealBrain » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:13 am

I've been like that myself, much as I don't want to admit it. I don't blame it on those people, I blame it on myself for not keeping it under control.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby ClareSilver47 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:13 am

I think a more appropriate way to put is that people in general have more conflicting opinions. Before the whole fiasco with Penders and the reboot, people in general had the same opinion, which is that the comics are awesome, and Exor was mostly overlooked because he was weird. Then the problem stuff came up and people's opinions came up and that caused some friction and from there it got worse up to now where some people absolutely hate the reboot, some absolutely love it, some who want to see what happens, and some who don't really care
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:49 am

The forum community is what you make of it. We have a number of rules that we try to enforce that keeps the immediately objectionable and intolerant behavior in check, but how everyone conducts themselves and interacts with each other is up to them.

We're not going to make a "wacky" subforum. This isn't a case like the Kreative Korner, where the posts being made are towards a creative end. A "Wacky Forum" ultimately encouragex more "ran-dumb" behavior for the sake of being "funny." Instead of being a dumping ground, it would becoming a breeding pool. It's better to police individuals who cannot control themselves than dig a hole and hope everyone falls into it.

The books I work on are primarily aimed at children. They can be enjoyed by everyone, but they're meant for a younger crowd. As such, the older and more mature users here are going to have to tolerate some childish shenanigans. We were all tweens once, and we learned by example.

That said, being younger doesn't give you a free pass to be a loon. Our less experienced users need to learn when to let the joke go, when an image macro doesn't contribute, and how to discuss things in a forum. They're growing up, and they can do some of that here. This goes for our users with social/interactive disabilities. We have a number of users with conditions like asperger syndrome and autism, and they conduct themselves very well. Those who cannot need help, and BKC is not the place for that.

This is why I repeatedly stress for folks to use the Report function. You may not see immediate results, but we (the admins) see who's getting reported repeatedly, and why. We handle almost all moderation privately through PMs, and we give folks enough chances to straighten themselves out before hefting out the ban-hammer. But we can't accurately tell who's being a problem without feedback.

Help us make this a better place than it already is. Help yourselves.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby TheFatPanda » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:01 pm

ChaosJam wrote:Mind you, however, that some people do seem to post only to push a person's or group of persons' buttons which is getting old too.

But even then, most who do that are done only in jest, as Toby and Ranger have pointed out.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby BlackHawkOmega » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:10 pm

Personally, I think it might be best for the mods to approve threads before they're made; hopefully keep the nonsense down.
BlackHawkOmega
BumbleNoble

Postby ClareSilver47 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:26 pm

Like the number of threads that I simply don't want to visit because I know nothing interesting will ever come up because the threads creator is bumping it like nuts to keep the 'conversation' 'alive' >_>

If something dies, let it die...
It becomes an eyesore if you don't

Anyway, I don't think Bumbleking needs more stupidity. It just needs more maturity and a sense that despite nobody knowing you in person doesn't mean they can't have a negative opinion about you because you think you can act like something you really shouldn't act like

*glares*

I know we were all like that at some point of our lives that we like to suppress and pretend never happened but seriously, don't embrace it
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby LilacDownDeep » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:50 pm

BlackHawkOmega wrote:Personally, I think it might be best for the mods to approve threads before they're made; hopefully keep the nonsense down.

Then you have to think about how much time the mods have to personally go through every new thread made. I don't think Ian or the others can spare that much time to go through every thread just to approve which ones can and cannot be posted.

ClareSilver47 wrote:Anyway, I don't think Bumbleking needs more stupidity. It just needs more maturity and a sense that despite nobody knowing you in person doesn't mean they can't have a negative opinion about you because you think you can act like something you really shouldn't act like

I know not everybody will like everybody, but that don't mean that you should be allowed to butt heads with them every time. Plus, everybody has their own online persona, after all you are who you are in the dark. But I get what you mean, acting in a way people might think is pretty impolite and rude I mean.

I mean here's a really good exercise you guys (and gals) can do: Read out loud your own posts (or other people's posts). You'll find that sometimes it sounds very different then how you might read it silently.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby theJcfreak » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:19 pm

BlackHawkOmega wrote:Personally, I think it might be best for the mods to approve threads before they're made; hopefully keep the nonsense down.

That's like one step away from being a police state. Mods don't want to crack down on anything and everything that's fun.

Also a little helpful tip: if there's a user who's just annoying and not breaking any rules, check out the 'Friends and Foes' function in the User Control Panel. 'Foes' acts like an ignore list and will automatically hide the posts of any user you put in there. So if there's a user who isn't breaking any rules but you don't really want to see the posts from them? Add to the 'Foes' list. While the 'report' function is great and should be used for serious offenses it might be counter-productive to report every little thing others users do that merely annoy you. The mods get a ton of reports every day and when there's a bunch that's nothing more than, "I don't like this user's opinion or tone do something!" it slows down any actual moderation (Admins feel free to correct me here).
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

PreviousNext

Return to The BumbleKourt