TMNT Movie thread (Spoilery Ooze Everywhere)

The general forum for talk about all things BumbleKingy!

TMNT Movie thread (Spoilery Ooze Everywhere)

Postby theJcfreak » Fri May 10, 2013 12:15 am

Okay guys, it's time this movie got its own thread. First, a recap of the news we know so far.

Movie is directed by that guy who made Wrath of the Titans and Battle: Los Angeles (John Liebesman).

Movie is produced by that guy who made the transmorphing transforming robot movies.

The release date is June 2014.

A TV extra is playing Leonardo (Pete Ploszek).

A TV actor is playing Mikey (Noel Fisher).

Another TV extra is playing Donatello (Jeremy Howard).

A TV actor best known for playing Aquaman and a frat boy is playing Raphael (Alan Ritchson).

Splinter is being played by a little person who is apparently best known for being on Seinfeld (Danny Woodburn).

April O'Neil is played by some girl who's best known for being Megan Fox.

Shredder is rumored to be played by William Fichtner, a guy with an actual decent credit listing under his belt.

Oh and Will Arnett is playing Vernon.

No word on Casey Jones. Only script we have is an old script which has supposedly been trashed. Turtles may or may not be alien in origin.

And now for what you all came here for, the pictures.

Megan Fox, your new April O'Neil:

Spoiler: show

Actors in mo-cap suits for turtles:

New Foot Clan:

Post any new info here, give opinions, talk whatever you feel about this movie. Have fun kids!
Last edited by theJcfreak on Fri May 10, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Re: TMNT Movie thread (Spoilery Ooze Everywhere)

Postby Sir Bert Leaman » Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 am

Only thing I can think to say is 'not muh TMNT'.

EDIT: Ok, so JC was hoping I'd rant. Don't think I'll go that far but I will explain why this is 'not muh TMNT'. I've been a fan of the turtles since the old 80's toon. I have been a fan of most iterations of the turtles over the years. I'm not much of a fan of the old Mirage books, partially since I haven't read much of them but honestly Eastman and Laird weren't that great of comic writers or artists. They've had some great ideas and without them there wouldn't be a TMNT. I'm also not so blind as to think the original animated series was liquid gold either. It's animation was lacking after the pilot, the writing was pretty weak and the characterization made it more like a parody. The turtles have really awkward roots, but as the years go on, it's been refined and improved.

This film, however, looks like a step backwards. It's early and I can't tell what the final product will be like in whole, but what we have to work on so far. All of the actors, barring Fox are pretty off the radar. Bay likes new blood and that's always been kind of a mixed bag. Also, I know Bay is only labeled as a producer but alot of the decisions made so far have his fingerprints all over them. I've skimmed the old script and good golly miss Molly was it bad. All the jokes were Revenge of the Fallen-tier slop. The entire thing was alien this and alien that, dramatic moment, fetch quest, alternate reality so on.

Now, again, I know you're probably thinking "But TMNT is full of aliens and alternate realities and stuff." and it's true, though the TMNT were never from an alternate reality and that kind of strikes a tone with me. None of what we've been shown looks like fan service. I've gotten the impression that the source material is totally foreign to these guys. The choices being made here are the sorts of choices that come from them getting a very limited character synopsis and just doing whatever.

Now, perhaps alot has changed since the old script. Maybe they went back and did their homework. Though if that were true, the casting strikes me as pretty odd. Shredder not being Asian is just sort of a NOPE moment for me. I mean, unless he ISN'T Oroku Saki, and if he isn't, is he really the Shredder? Maybe there are ways to resolve that but what about those foot uniforms? They really don't look ninja to me let alone Foot Clan. Now, I can get a sort of Japanese vibe from the mask, just it's not Foot Clan. Still, I'd be willing to see more about those before I make too much of a judgement.

[DOUBLE EDIT: Took another look at the pics and the Foot look less like a bunch of ninjas and more like a themed military outfit. They've got Black-Ops looking outfits and combat boots. Also of note, they seem to have captured the turtles. The Foot being a themed military op, Shredder (Shrader in the script) being their commander and the turtles being captives of the government are all right out of the proto-script.]

I think the choices of Megan Fox and the guy from Seinfeld bug me the most. I just didn't like Fox in Transformers. She didn't feel very genuine or fleshed out as a character and like she was just there because she's considered hot. I'm afraid she'll be the same here. The guy from Seinfeld being Splinter makes me wonder if the intent is to evoke a sort of Yoda vibe: wise, old, don't judge a fighter by his size and the like. While I would say he could be a great teacher, Splinter is supposed to be somewhat imposing. He's intimidating and meant to be on the same level as Shredder. Can this Splinter do that? Maybe he's just doing the voice.

Lastly, we can get an idea of how big these turtles will be based on the mocap suits and frankly, I just ask why they couldn't just do some boss animatronic suits like the old films.
Sir Bert Leaman
BumbleNoble

Postby The Bored » Fri May 10, 2013 9:42 am

eh, everything Leaman said above except the thing about the old animatronic suits. Those looked silly even in the 90's.
The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby GameBuddy » Fri May 10, 2013 10:31 am

GameBuddy
BumbleCult

Postby The Bored » Fri May 10, 2013 10:36 am

The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby Sir Bert Leaman » Fri May 10, 2013 10:54 am

The Bored wrote:eh, everything Leaman said above except the thing about the old animatronic suits. Those looked silly even in the 90's.

We're talking about four teenage anthropomorphic, walking, talking, color-coded turtles who were raised by a rat and trained in ninjutsu who love pizza and spend their time beating up a human pincushion and his band of flunkies in black pajamas. Silly is kinda already built in. I thought the animatronic suits added something and the tech has surely improved.
Sir Bert Leaman
BumbleNoble

Postby The Bored » Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 am

Sir Bert Leaman wrote:
The Bored wrote:eh, everything Leaman said above except the thing about the old animatronic suits. Those looked silly even in the 90's.

We're talking about four teenage anthropomorphic, walking, talking, color-coded turtles who were raised by a rat and trained in ninjutsu who love pizza and spend their time beating up a human pincushion and his band of flunkies in black pajamas. Silly is kinda already built in. I thought the animatronic suits added something and the tech has surely improved.

true, it has improved, but it seems no one wants to use it anymore. I can understand using cgi for the turtles as cgi is easier to make characters express emotion which they weren't really able to do in the old movies. And cgi can look really good when done well, so maybe if nothing else we'll get some cool looking liveaction ninja turtles.
The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby theJcfreak » Fri May 10, 2013 1:54 pm

The Bored wrote:
Sir Bert Leaman wrote:

true, it has improved, but it seems no one wants to use it anymore. I can understand using cgi for the turtles as cgi is easier to make characters express emotion which they weren't really able to do in the old movies. And cgi can look really good when done well, so maybe if nothing else we'll get some cool looking liveaction ninja turtles.

I don't know if I'd say no one wants to use it. Gamora in the new GotG is supposed to be doing full body makeup instead of any mo-cap or cgi. I imagine one could actually use a combination of makeup and suits to make some pretty convincing toitles.

BUT ENOUGH OF THAT TIME FOR PHOTO OF THE DAY.

April O'Neil prepares for her next GQ shoot.

Her hair does actually look red in this shot so it's nice to know that for every 3 steps back we inch forward in the right direction.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Tigsie » Fri May 10, 2013 2:28 pm

http://io9.com/whats-inside-the-shells-of-michael-bays-cg-ninja-turt-499065058

Mo-cap turtles anyone?

Edit: My bad. Didn't see the hidden photos. At least April gets to wear some form of yellow clothing~
Tigsie
BumbleNoble

Postby ShadowBat20 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:06 pm

I was going to write some big explanation about why I, someone who has been a TMNT fan pretty much since birth, am not excited about, nor will I even watch, this movie, but Sir Bert Leaman already covered pretty much everything I was going to say. He really hit the nail on the head.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby son665 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Im looking forward to this,I just hope they don't use the basic of the leaked script.I heard it was awfull. I heard they changed the aliens part and made it teenage mutant ninga again.
Who was the guy who made the leaked script.Also why did Bay say the turtles is going to be aliens then latter on boycotted it and made them teenage mutant again.
I really hope they heard the fan's outcry and rewrote the script
son665
BumbleFan

Postby theJcfreak » Sat May 11, 2013 6:48 pm

No pictures today but we got a set video. It shows the turtles walking into a truck. Exciting I know! If nothing else it's a good look at the camera work at the movie.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby SurrealBrain » Mon May 13, 2013 5:14 am

I'm being cautiously optimistic. I do wish we had a continuation of the fourth film, but while I do see several ways this reboot could fail, we don't know how it will be until we see it, so I'm holding on to some hope yet.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby DaddlerTheDalek » Mon May 13, 2013 6:57 pm

I like Turtles. I give this Movie a Chance. It could be really Cool.
DaddlerTheDalek
BumbleKnight

Postby Milox » Mon May 13, 2013 10:07 pm

Im just wondering how they will make this more off putting.

I know they will. They always do.

My money is on incorporating Nickelback somehow.

tl;dr. No chance from me.
Preemptive -2/10
Milox
BumbleClan

Next

Return to The BumbleKourt