Ask Ian for OCT'08 - On Moebius, Iain asks You!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Moderators: Dub, LBD_Nytetrayn, Ian Flynn, Kureejii Lea, Tracy Yardley!

Postby Tonberry2k » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:53 pm

Are we done with Nate Morgan for good?
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby WinkingSamurai » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:54 pm

1.) Would you ever consider editing art/dialogue in the Sonic Archives to make it more consistent/in line with current Sonic canon? (Hope's relationship with Robotnik/Snively, Gala-Na's color change in the Chaos Knuckles arc, Sonic's "true name" as referenced by Jules in #53, etc)
WinkingSamurai
BumbleNoble

Postby Kintobor » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:15 am

Hi. Long time lurker, first time post. Some of you posters will recognize me by my bizarre and adult Sonic X comic reviews done over in the Sonic Stadium, and my love for the mad doctor, Ivo Robotnik.

Enough about that. It seems that you beaten me to the punch about the Eggman Nega question. I wanted to ask him that! :D

Oh well. Hopefully I won't annoy you with my constant attention to a certain mad scientist.... ;)

Here are some of my questions:

1. Seeing that Kintobor (anti-Robotnik) seemed to get the appraisal of many fans (on the boards), will we see more of that lovable meek scientist?

2. Will Kintobor ever meet his Mobius counterpart in the future face to face?

3. On Sonic X #36's front cover, were those animals based off of the staff's real pets? (The iguana named Sue, the Sphinx Cat is named Pinky Darling (which I thought it said Pinky Darfur on the collar for a while.)

4. Since the Robotnik in the Sonic X series has a romantic interest (Ella) will the STH one have a boyfriend/girlfriend in the future?

And just for the lulz

5. Dr. Robotnik: Boxers or Briefs? ;)

I have enjoyed your writing in the Sonic X, and the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
Kintobor
BumbleFan

Postby Super Rayzor » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:32 am

Did I? You might want to re-read the major spoilers thread and see exactly what I said about Zonic’s appearance. As for who’s in the No Zone, I’ve envisioned it is primarily Zone Cops. Everyone works to keep the multiverse tickin’. Careful with those names, though - that’s borded-line fan-submitted-ideas.
Ah, I see; that could mean anything.. Sorry, bout the names, I just figured that was the logic for names in that zone, and may very well may have been with whoever created Zonic but not with you.

Anyway, so does that mean if versions of Eggman, Nack, etc. does exist in the No Zone that they would be zone cops as well?
Super Rayzor
BumbleNoble

Postby Adamis » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:48 am

Questions of the week:

- Has Merlin's magic really removed all of the Enerjak power off Knuckles ?

-In Sonic Universe, will we ever have a story set in the SegaSonic universe?

-Do you think you'll ever "remove" Mighty from the Chaotix, to be on par with the SegaSonic Chaotix? (I hope not but I'm not the writer ;))

-I really loved #173 because Sonic was on a mission with the Freedom Fighters (like the old days). Any chance for more stories like this?

-Not counting Archie, which Sonic universe is your favorite?

Thanks in advance Ian :)
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Caesar Clown » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:42 am

1) silver's debut in the comics will be in hedgehog havoc, will silver be a common character in the series, or just a one time character.

2) with the unveiling of sonic universe replacing the sonic x comics, will we see stories focusing knuckles and the villains he encountered in his comics? (ebony hare)

3) its sometimes good to have side stories in the comics, will we ever see another snively side story?

4) going back to the sonic universe topic, will sonic and co. be discovering New zones in this comic or just the ones that are known now.

5) good to know rob o' the hedge will be returning, but is he going to be around for a while?
Caesar Clown
BumbleClan

Postby Glaber » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:40 pm

1. Is there a chance High Sherif Robotnik from Sonic Underground will appear in Sonic Universe?
2. Speaking of other Robotniks, will Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog be one of the continuities touched upon in Sonic Universe?
3. Did the Pallet Glitch versions of Sonic (Ashura) and Knuckles (Wechnia) serve for any influence on King Scourge and Dr. Finavious?
4. If not, then how come they resemble the Pallet Glitches so much?
[url=http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1271]Dimension Sonic[/url], Now Playing at Kreative Korner!
Glaber
BumbleCitizen

Postby bsonic10 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:39 am

1) We know Scourge strongly dislikes her, but what do the rest of the Suppression Squad think of Rosy the Rascal?

2) How actively did Rosy try to stop Scourge's takeover of Moebius?
bsonic10
BumbleClan

Postby WinkingSamurai » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:28 am

2.) How exactly is Charmy's mental health? In #180, he seems perfectly okay, doing reconnaissance for the Chaotix. However, in #191, he seems totally out of it, acting like a sleepy three year old. Is he getting better, or worse?
WinkingSamurai
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:41 pm

1) Can we possibly expect another Ian-credible bonus with Sonic and the Black Knight as with Secret Rings, or can those of us who don't live within a thousand clicks of a Target rest easy this time?

2) So far, I haven't seen Iain ask us much of anything. Is that coming? Later in the month, maybe? :(hearty laughter):

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
ImageImageImageImage
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Promethean0416 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:04 pm

Will "Anti-Knuckles" appear again sometime with a new name or is he no more as of what was seen in #193?
"Do not doubt the reality; the reclamation has already begun, and we are hopeless to stop it."
Promethean0416
BumbleKnight

Postby cloud davis » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi New to the fourm !!
anyway questions

1. With Sonic Universe coming and will have "other worldly" stories, will we ever that "Sonic Manga" story that Spaz showed concept designs of in Sonic #115?

2. With Unleash being not-canon, does that mean we will not see the were-hog outside of the Unleash story unless it becomes a reoccurring theme in Sonic games?

3. Not sure if it's been asked lately, but any more Lara-Su on the horizon? (she's my sister's fav char)
cloud davis
BumbleNewbie

Postby Aurora_Redwinters » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:26 pm

1. Do you know if Spaz is going to be handling the Sonic Universe covers now that Sonic X is ending its run?

2. Would you say that Sonic is still a chili dog loving hedgehog, like he was back in the old days or has he outgrown that?

3. In #176, Merlin wondered if the Lake of Rings in New Mobotropolis would still produce magic rings. Will that be addressed any time in the near future?
"Its impossible." said Pride.
"Its risky." said Experience.
"Its pointless." said Reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the Heart.

30-Second Demo Reel
Aurora_Redwinters
BumbleNoble

Postby GrandMasterGalvatron » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:42 pm

1. What factors led to you deciding that the Rivals games wouldn't be canon to the comic?

2. Any chance of Eggman building another Metal Scourge?

3. If Eggman Nega were to appear in the comics, would you be inclined to use Metal Sonic 3.0?

4. If the situation arose, would you be willing to use something like Sonic X's Dark Super Sonic?
GrandMasterGalvatron
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:10 pm

Happy Thanksgiving for all the BumbleKanadians out there! Let's get to this week's heapin' helpin' of turkey.

I mean questions. Questions!

Question #1 wrote:any possible explanation to the inconsistent toe count on the characters, most notably Tails going from 3 ( Sonic Kids ), 4 ( issue #58 ), to 5 ( #94 ) to presumably 3 again?

A wizard did it.

Seriously, we don't have anything canon on that.

Question #2 wrote:what's with the "shameless plug" thing?

Editor Mike Pellerito used to throw out a lot of "shameless plugs" for upcoming comics and such - to the point it became a running gag. Being one for never letting a running gag die, I've taken up the torch.

Question #3 wrote:Does Knux's mother know about the death of Locke? How would Knux's mother take the death of Locke?

Probably not, given that she was in Albion at the time of Locke's sacrifice. However, if the whole "soul touch" thing is to be believed, I'd think she'd have a sense of it - that if she were to be told, she wouldn't be surprised. As to how she'd react, I think she would be sad. I don't think she'd be crushed - she's a strong character, she's been through a lot, and she has a family to support her. I do think she'd be very sad that they never could really patch things up short of a few civil moments, and that the good man she knew was gone.

Question #4 wrote:Will there be any screentime for Tails' parents? (Ditto for Sonic's parents?)

From time to time, yes.

Question #5 wrote:In #163 ADAM said that the top three enemies to Sonic were Mogul, Naugus, and Eggman. Now that Scourge and Finitevus have become more serious threats and Mogul and Naugus have become less serious threats, who do you feel deserves the distinction of the top three?

#1 - Dr. Robotnik still takes the number one spot. Even with New Megaopolis in shambles he has the world under his command. Until he's dethroned he takes the top spot by default.

#2 - Scourge and Dr. Finitevus tie for this spot, I'd think. Scourge is a much more proactive villain and an easy to see threat. However, he's also very limited in his scope, given his Sonic-fixation (even amid his world-conquest schemes) and works on a smaller scale. Dr. Finitevus is a much slower-to-act villain who may drop off the mental radar as he plots and prepares. When he acts, though, it has global consquences. Sure, Scourge messed up your face, but Finitevus just reshaped the planet.

#3 - Mammoth Mogul still ranks in the top three. He's not active, but he isn't out of the picture either. He's got tremendous power and influence at his disposal, so when he acts (and he will) it'll be big.

Question #6 wrote:Do you view Finitevus as a Knuckles villain or as a general villain? My sister thinks that he'll be in Sonic Universe as a Knuckles villain, but I think he could potentially do anything for his next plot.

Now that SU is on the table and I can devote some honest-to-goodness story arcs to Knuckles, I want to try to rebuild his rogues gallery a bit. So in that regard, yes, Dr. Finitevus is very much a Knuckles-villain. His threats may be universal, but he's too directly tied to Knuckles to really be a Sonic-villain.

Question #7 wrote:Will we see Omega in Sonic Universe? I mean, you did mention building more of a supporting cast for Shadow.

I cannot confirm or deny Omega being in SU at this present time.

Question #8 wrote:Will anyone be going 'Super' in the near future or in the run up to #200?

Yes. (I love these questions where I can be 100% honest and still horribly, horribly teasingly vague!)

Question #9 wrote:Are we done with Nate Morgan for good?

Yup. The dude is nuclear slag.

Question #10 wrote:Would you ever consider editing art/dialogue in the Sonic Archives to make it more consistent/in line with current Sonic canon? (Hope's relationship with Robotnik/Snively, Gala-Na's color change in the Chaos Knuckles arc, Sonic's "true name" as referenced by Jules in #53, etc)

Personally? No. I think that would dishonor the work of the previous writers and ultimately prove to be more trouble than it's worth. Whole dialogues and plot points would have to be totally reworked in some cases, and that's not what folks are coming to see in the Archives and Selects. They want the vintage material, and we provide it. There's been a few very tiny changes - like a misdirected word-balloon properly aligned - but what is shall forever be. It's my job to make all the new stuff fit and work.

Question #11 wrote:Seeing that Kintobor (anti-Robotnik) seemed to get the appraisal of many fans (on the boards), will we see more of that lovable meek scientist?

As a universal answer to "Will we be seeing more _______ from Moebius?" - maybe! If/when we return to Moebius after this story arc I'd hope we'd return to all these characters. Part of the reason I wanted to do this arc was to make Moebius a viable setting with viable characters rather than an old convention we trot out every so often. But given how positively folks have responded to the Moebian revamp, I'm optimistic for future Moebian stories.

Question #12 wrote:On Sonic X #36's front cover, were those animals based off of the staff's real pets?

Not that I'm aware of, but I wouldn't rule that out.

Question #13 wrote:Since the Robotnik in the Sonic X series has a romantic interest (Ella) will the STH one have a boyfriend/girlfriend in the future?

Maybe not the Robotnik, but . . . heh heh, you'll see.

Question #14 wrote:Dr. Robotnik: Boxers or Briefs?

Fool! That much scientific genius cannot be contained by mere undergarments!

Question #15 wrote:Anyway, so does that mean if versions of Eggman, Nack, etc. does exist in the No Zone that they would be zone cops as well?

Maybe not directly affiliated with the Zone Cops, but they're probably involved with policing the multiverse somehow or another.

Question #16 wrote:Has Merlin's magic really removed all of the Enerjak power off Knuckles ?

Merlin's spell wasn't about removing the hex. Locke's sacrifice is what lifted the dark magic from Knuckles. It was Merlin's spell that proved that Knuckles, Mina, Mighty, Sonic and Tails were all clean of evil influences.

Question #17 wrote:Do you think you'll ever "remove" Mighty from the Chaotix, to be on par with the SegaSonic Chaotix?

If I could find a good reason to, I might. But it'd have to be an amazingly awesome reason. I like Mighty in the Chaotix, and I'm not eager to change that.

Question #18 wrote:I really loved #173 because Sonic was on a mission with the Freedom Fighters (like the old days). Any chance for more stories like this?

Very much yes, and in the near future too.

Question #19 wrote:its sometimes good to have side stories in the comics, will we ever see another snively side story?

We'll be seeing a lot more side-stories next year, and we'll be seeing a Snively side-story next issue. How's that for customer service?

Question #20 wrote:going back to the sonic universe topic, will sonic and co. be discovering New zones in this comic or just the ones that are known now.

We'll be visiting one zone we've only seen briefly and a few locations we've not seen in a while, but no new-new zones for right now.

Question #21 wrote:Is there a chance High Sherif Robotnik from Sonic Underground will appear in Sonic Universe?

I'm 99.9~% sure we won't be seeing anything Sonic Underground relaed.

Question #22 wrote:Speaking of other Robotniks, will Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog be one of the continuities touched upon in Sonic Universe?

I'd say AoStH is lumped into STH's universe since Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts are present. After all, there's a few characters from SatAM that've never appeaed in STH and it's still considered by some to be a SatAM-based comic. But, no, I have no intention of doing something AoStH-centric in SU.

Question #23 wrote:Did the Pallet Glitch versions of Sonic (Ashura) and Knuckles (Wechnia) serve for any influence on King Scourge and Dr. Finavious? If not, then how come they resemble the Pallet Glitches so much?

Scourge was designed by Spaz, and given that Spaz is such a Sonic fan, I wouldn't discount the possibility that Ashura played some minor influence. Really, though, Scourge is more of a simple eye/fur color swap from Sonic. As for Wechnia, he's not nearly as well known as Ashura and I can't say I see much of a visual similarity there.

Personally, I've taken pains to make sure I'm not writing Ashura in Scourge. I worked with Ashura's "owner" years back, and I don't want to betray his trust (or nick his intellectual property). So there might be shades of the Pallet Glitchers, and you can certainly argue for some similarities, but that wasn't our intention.

Question #24 wrote:We know Scourge strongly dislikes her, but what do the rest of the Suppression Squad think of Rosy the Rascal?

I think the sentiment towards Rosy is universal, and that's "Eugh!"

Question #25 wrote:How actively did Rosy try to stop Scourge's takeover of Moebius?

Directly? None. She wouldn't give a fig for Moebius. Indirectly? Tons since she's been actively hunting him down until recently.

Question #26 wrote:How exactly is Charmy's mental health? In #180, he seems perfectly okay, doing reconnaissance for the Chaotix. However, in #191, he seems totally out of it, acting like a sleepy three year old. Is he getting better, or worse?

He has his good days and his bad. He's still a competant member of the Chaotix, but it's more like he's a competant child member of the Chaotix, like Ray.

Question #27 wrote:Can we possibly expect another Ian-credible bonus with Sonic and the Black Knight as with Secret Rings, or can those of us who don't live within a thousand clicks of a Target rest easy this time?

As of this Q&A session, there's no plans for anything around SatBK.

Question #28 wrote:Will "Anti-Knuckles" appear again sometime with a new name or is he no more as of what was seen in #193?

Nope, that cameo is all we get of Anti-Knuckles for now. Hopefully, if/when we return to Moebius, we'll get a chance to look at his side of things.

Question #29 wrote:With Sonic Universe coming and will have "other worldly" stories, will we ever that "Sonic Manga" story that Spaz showed concept designs of in Sonic #115?

I believe that was a potential series revamp project written by Ken Penders with designs by Spaz. So, no, I don't see that ever coming about.

Question #30 wrote:Not sure if it's been asked lately, but any more Lara-Su on the horizon?

I'd like to see her again, and SU definitely opens the door for such stories. I'd say there's a decent chance for her return.

Question #31 wrote:Do you know if Spaz is going to be handling the Sonic Universe covers now that Sonic X is ending its run?

I'm 99.9% sure Spaz is doing the SU covers.

Question #32 wrote:Would you say that Sonic is still a chili dog loving hedgehog, like he was back in the old days or has he outgrown that?

Sure - he's just outgrown the fixation that led him to mention it every other page.

Question #33 wrote:In #176, Merlin wondered if the Lake of Rings in New Mobotropolis would still produce magic rings. Will that be addressed any time in the near future?

That depends on how loosely you want to define "near," but yes, I will be touching upon that sooner rather than later.

Question #34 wrote:What factors led to you deciding that the Rivals games wouldn't be canon to the comic?

1) Sega didn't ask us to acknowledge it
2) Getting tie-in stuff is a tricky process with prior approval as it is
3) It would throw the scheduling off on our stories
4) Neither of the Rivals games have had a lasting impact short of better explaining Dr. Nega, and we can do that our own way

Question #35 wrote:If Eggman Nega were to appear in the comics, would you be inclined to use Metal Sonic 3.0?

Possibly. I just wish there was more to MS3.0 than the cool color scheme. It certainly didn't come across as any more powerful than your average Metal Sonic.

Question #36 wrote:If the situation arose, would you be willing to use something like Sonic X's Dark Super Sonic?

Eh . . . I'm not keen on the whole "Dark Sonic" thing. It was barely anything in SX, it seemed rather random in Secret Rings, and I'll reserve comment on "Werehog" until the game is out. If Sonic had to have a "dark super" form, I'd prefer to go with his Dark Spine form. Short of that, closest we'd ever get would be something like Scourge going "super."
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius