The Knuckles Comic Book

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Moderators: Dub, LBD_Nytetrayn, Ian Flynn, Kureejii Lea, Tracy Yardley!

The Knuckles Comic Book

Postby Death is Censored » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:38 pm

I am curious to know the reason behind why the Knuckles comics were canceled, I had previously asked Ian Flynn this question, but the answer he gave me did not make any sense, I would appreciate getting a clear answer, to the comic's cancellation, I do not want anyone telling me that, "George Lucas came out with a new movie, one thing lead to another, and Archie canceled one of their comics", also I would be interested in hearing what fans thought of the comic, should it have been canceled, what do you think should have been in the series, to make it better, and would you want a new Knuckles comic.
Death is Censored
BumbleNewbie

Re: The Knuckles Comic Book

Postby Mustachio » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:43 pm

It was cancelled due to declined sales in my understanding. The Sonic's comics, at that particular period of time, weren't getting all the funds they needed to support three titles (Sonic, Knuckles, and Super Specials) and Knuckles itself, despite being popular among the immediate comic fanbase, was actually doing quite poorly in sales, so it was cancelled. Super Specials were also cancelled shortly afterwards if you'll notice too. This was an effort to redirect all efforts on the main Sonic book to keep it afloat.

Anyway its been pretty much stated that a Knuckles comic isn't happening again. He isn't the character he once was and he couldn't support a book on his own. Sonic Universe is a compromise because it uses every supporting character in the Archie-verse including Knuckles himself, giving him his own stories once and awhile again.
Mustachio
BumbleClan

Postby Batchu » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Yeah, I'd say Universe makes good compensation. Knuckles is one of my favorite characters, and he could potentially support his own series (if sales would allow), but it's really not necessary to have any character-specific spin-offs.
I am the Conductive Crusader. I am the Spark Knight. I am Batchu!
Batchu
BumbleKnight

Postby theJcfreak » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:19 pm

I don't really know why the old KtE comic was canceled, but I can say that Knuckles couldn't carry his own book right now. He's just that not popular of a character. Sega's own polls show Shadow is waaay more popular, so if anyone got their own book it would be him. Though with Sonic Universe, the beauty is everyone can get their own arcs (like the old Specials of yore) and everyone gets focus.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Vampfox » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:32 pm

Yes the Knuckles comic was cancelled due to poor sales. This happened to a lot of comic books back in the 90's.
The fact that the Sonic the Hedgehog series managed to survive is pretty much a miracle.
Image Image Image Image
Fan of Wario then join the Wario Forum today. http://warioforums.com/index.php
"Sonic was supposed to be a blockbuster sci-fi with the extremes of good and evil represented by iconic characters. He doesn't just have to be a colorful, kidified mascot with no story." - Ben Hurst
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby ReliReli » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Darkfox wrote:The fact that the Sonic the Hedgehog series managed to survive is pretty much a miracle.

Hey, the fans MADE it happen...and a few light-footed business decisions, I'm sure. 8)

Focusing energies on making the main comic as good as it could be paid off really well. Old fans are happy to see the familiar elements, like Knux, remain in the books while all the new additions to plots/characters/settings keeps attracting new readers from all over. Still, it does make for some incongruities within the fan base sometimes because of age gaps and such.

I mean, can you believe some Sonic fans still don't even like the Knuckles book? Maybe I'm just too old-school, but I still don't get that. I guess you whippersnappers just had to have been there for it in the beginning, like for Woodstock or etch-a-sketch or something.
ReliReli
BumbleCitizen

Postby Matt7325 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:43 pm

The Star Wars thing always just sounded like Ken Penders grasping at straws because he couldn't accept the fact that one of his projects had failed.

As much as I loved the Knuckles comic (and I think it was better than Sonic for the most part during its run), I can see why it was cancelled, cause honestly the last year or so of it wasn't that great. "Dark Alliance" had some great points, but all to do with the Dark Legion (Lien-Da's debut, Dimitri's return). "Political intrigue" doesn't really captivate 12-year olds that well - I know I had a lot of difficulty understanding that arc when it first came out. "Childhood's End" and "My Special Friend" were great, but "The First Date" was insipid and pretty embarassing, and "King of the Hill" was pretty poorly written (imo). That's a year of what could easily be perceived as declining quality and I reckon that the sales of the comic would have reflected that.
Ian Flynn wrote:I, Ian Flynn, of sound mind and body, do declare that STH#244 was not an abomination.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby Tigsie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:55 am

"Political intrigue" doesn't really captivate 12-year olds that well - I know I had a lot of difficulty understanding that arc when it first came out.

I was around 10-13 when I read the Knuckles series. I was TOTALLY obsessed with it. During the main book, Sonic and Tails were simply touring the globe with...ugh....Nate Morgan. Sarcastic yay. Granted it did have a more mature plot than Sonic, and it probably went over a lot of younger childrens' heads. It included heavy topics like divorce, politics, law, mystery and family secrets, and family values vs job/duty. It still holds up pretty well when I read it today, but there are still lots of questions that will never be answered. ;___;

One of my favorites to contemplate now is Technocracy vs. Theocracy and how during Dimitri's time one of the political parties did not want him to succeed in fear that it would make them look bad and lose votes. That sounds SO familiar! I always thought it lost its hold on fans after Manny Galan left the scene. It never really found an artist who could draw on model, which is unfortunate that Dawn Best didn't make it to the book until after it was canceled. :(
Tigsie
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:25 am

What's all this "Star Wars" stuff? Don't recall that.

And if memory serves, I think retailers weren't too enthused about devoting valuable space to a character who simply doesn't have the name recognition of Sonic the Hedgehog (hence "Sonic Universe" being a decent compromise).

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
ImageImageImageImage
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Paul Kaminski » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:47 am

Going through the series, I very much enjoyed a solid chunk of it. Mostly the arcs leading up to Albion and the book's political moments. To me personally it seemed like it suffered from an acute case of continuity over-saturation, a problem the Sonic book itself dances around from time to time. Reading Knuckles straight through helps with the inevitable confusion

It also gave us Harry, who's likeability was surprising :)
Paul Kaminski
Sonic Editor and Grand Pubah

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:58 am

Yeah, what's up with that? he's like the most likable background character ever
Mavrickindigo
BumbleClan

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:01 pm

Tigsie wrote:I always thought it lost its hold on fans after Manny Galan left the scene. It never really found an artist who could draw on model, which is unfortunate that Dawn Best didn't make it to the book until after it was canceled. :(

Agreed. Steven Butler was supposed to take over as artist for the book starting with issue 33 after James Fry took his place on the Sonic comic. Unfortunately, the book was canceled before that could come about, but he was still the main artist for the Sonic Adventure Knuckles stories (which were supposed to be issues 33 and 34 of the Knuckles comic, IIRC, before those stories were integrated into the Sonic book).
A webcomic that updates on Tuesdays and Thursdays
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:49 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:What's all this "Star Wars" stuff? Don't recall that.

And if memory serves, I think retailers weren't too enthused about devoting valuable space to a character who simply doesn't have the name recognition of Sonic the Hedgehog (hence "Sonic Universe" being a decent compromise).

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

If I'm recalling the reasoning correctly, KTE's woes coincided with The Phantom Menace coming out and the slew of comic tie-ins. It was reasoned that so much shelf space was devoted to Star Wars books that KTE, already in trouble, got pushed off the shelves.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Vampfox » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:16 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:What's all this "Star Wars" stuff? Don't recall that.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

If I'm recalling the reasoning correctly, KTE's woes coincided with The Phantom Menace coming out and the slew of comic tie-ins. It was reasoned that so much shelf space was devoted to Star Wars books that KTE, already in trouble, got pushed off the shelves.

Makes sense. Phantom Menace was everywhere when it come out. You couldn't escape from all of the promoting attention that it was getting. Not even at Taco Bell. :twisted:
Image Image Image Image
Fan of Wario then join the Wario Forum today. http://warioforums.com/index.php
"Sonic was supposed to be a blockbuster sci-fi with the extremes of good and evil represented by iconic characters. He doesn't just have to be a colorful, kidified mascot with no story." - Ben Hurst
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby blob55 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:21 pm

I really like the Knuckles books, and it's sad, when reading the books, 99.9% of all the characters are now dead. Thank you Ian. Why did the Echidnas at Albion have to die, too? Wasn't it enough for Eggman/Ian to kill the ones on Angel Island? Now all of the surviving Echidnas could get blasted by Eggman, since he already destroyed Albion once.
Hmm... Anyway, if it's so unsafe for Echidnas, then why don't they seperate, and speard out? That way it'll take longer to kill the last 10-20 living non-DEL Echidnas.
A shadow of myself just who am I? It's no use!
You can't remember anything, can you?
The truth can run but not hide.
blob55
KER-BANNED!

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius