Mega Man #55 and Possible Reboot...?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #55 and Possible Reboot...?

Postby akessel92 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:56 pm

EvilEddie wrote:If anything's just being "rewritten" it's probably due to Vincent not agreeing with whatever framework Paul had set down.

The interview in the OP makes me believe it's gonna be more than just a rewrite though. That is if it even comes back.

So it's a pendering in reverse. Whereas we can't use elements that were getting good and found a use when they have been underused. Now it's we can't use elements cause they were overused.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:49 pm

It's difficult to really react; it's a bit vague. It's a surprise to me that the TV show is a consideration, though, as it's a long time away. I guess people who connected these things were in the right.

I suppose I feel mildly positive about it as it reinforces that MM is not flat-out cancelled, but I can't feel too positive about it since things seem up in the air. They want MM to return, but don't seem to know what it's gonna be. And if the cartoon really is a consideration, then we might not see the comic for quite a while.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:46 am

I truly don't see the purpose of this rewritten and why? It's not hurting the franchise or is this a Capcom thing?
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:16 am

akessel92 wrote:So it's a pendering in reverse. Whereas we can't use elements that were getting good and found a use when they have been underused. Now it's we can't use elements cause they were overused.

Are you saying that the Mega Man 4 arc won't be Mr. Xander forcing Xander Payne to pretend to be a mad scientist by kidnapping his child, Xander Payne Jr.?
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Tonberry2k » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:13 pm

Best case scenario: Archie is helping Capcom launch the TV show and they couldn't do both at once.
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:20 pm

"Rewritten" could just mean that they can't proceed as planned and need to alter some ideas. It doesn't Necessarily mean reboot.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:47 pm

BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:19 am

So, sorry to be a bit off topic, but every time I check this thread, the last post I see, is blazeheatnix's "Hiatus" post with Dr. Evil, yet the board says that more people have posted since then. Its weird.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:44 pm

you broke the curse
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Astrobot7000 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:51 am

So do we still not have a solid word on yet what course the comic is taking? If not, that's just utterly ridiculous at this point.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:41 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:So do we still not have a solid word on yet what course the comic is taking? If not, that's just utterly ridiculous at this point.

Of course not, because whatever it is, we're not going to like.

or, more accurately.

Of course not, because whatever it is, its entrenched in NDAs, most likely due to something Capcom has planned for the franchise.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Mordum » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:39 pm

I hope it's Mega Man Boom.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:50 am

Mordum wrote:I hope it's Mega Man Boom.

...you know, we've never really had a pure "just fer laffs" version of Mega Man before. I find the idea intriguing.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:09 am

I dunno. I feel like I've kind of had my fill of 'superficial humour reimaginings of existing franchise characters'.

I mean, I can tolerate/enjoy Teen Titans GO! up to a point, but I don't think it's a sound approach to 'reimagining' or 'updating' everything. I guess Sonic Boom tries to use that formula too - with limited success - but it's kind of lazy/superficial/short-lived.

Also, Hitoshi Ariga did a whole bunch of comedy Mega Man shorts - they're featured in the back of most of the Megamix/Gigamix books.

akessel92 wrote:
EvilEddie wrote:If anything's just being "rewritten" it's probably due to Vincent not agreeing with whatever framework Paul had set down.

The interview in the OP makes me believe it's gonna be more than just a rewrite though. That is if it even comes back.

So it's a pendering in reverse. Whereas we can't use elements that were getting good and found a use when they have been underused. Now it's we can't use elements cause they were overused.

I never really liked the old linear framework under Paul's watch. If Vincent has different ideas for how to make use of Mega Man in the Archie comics then that's okay by me.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:10 am

DoNotDelete wrote:I dunno. I feel like I've kind of had my fill of 'superficial humour reimaginings of existing franchise characters'.

I mean, I can tolerate/enjoy Teen Titans GO! up to a point, but I don't think it's a sound approach to 'reimagining' or 'updating' everything. I guess Sonic Boom tries to use that formula too - with limited success - but it's kind of lazy/superficial/short-lived.

I think what impresses me the most about Teen Titans Go is how true it really always has been to the Murakami Titans show. It's something I've argued a lot to various people to mixed effect, but it's true. When you look at the mechanism the show operates under and all of it's various themes (cynicism, the shallow nature of nostalgia and sentimentality, the neurotic rejection of altruism for altruism's own sake), it really is the most appropriate possible sequel to Things Change.

Which is one of my favorite TV finales of all time, animated or otherwise. The thing that makes the Glen Murakami Teen Titans show work so well is the fact that it's essentially a Ken Park for little kids: like how that movie was a really great, disturbing look at the way adults use and abuse young people to fulfill their own unsatisfied lives, and Teen Titans was a similar idea. Each season appropriately deals with iconography (Robin becoming Slade, Terra getting Sladed, Brother Blood making himself Cyborg, etc...) and how adults co-opt children, but also like Ken Park, the show never really let the kids off the hook either. Robin was so fundamentally broken a human being that, with no Slade to fight, he just created a fake Slade to BEAT HIM SENSELESS. Robin was so broken a person he NEEDED an abusive father to function, probably the darkest possible interpretation the staff could've taken of the character (because to them he wasn't Dick Grayson, but a young Bruce Lee). The way most people talk about Teen Titans, it was the fun light faux-anime romp to contrast Justice League and the wider, more adult DCAU...but look at how those two shows approach themselves. Justice League Unlimited's arc was about how incredibly adult, complex political situations can be defused by comic book fantasy and trusting in the smiling white men with the super weapon, essentially giving fans an adult situation and then ensuring them that real problems can be solved by childish idealism. Titans, though...

Terra spells it out perfectly. "Things aren't how you remember, Beast Boy." Terra's character was constantly forced between two iconographies, the Titans and Slade, while fitting neither of them, and the ending of Aftershock doesn't even give Terra the dignity of dying as her own person. She dies as the Titans see her: as a True Titan. And when Beast Boy meets her again at the end of the series, we learn how little this logic actually turned out to be true. If the DCAU was about how the adult world cannot hope to defeat the idealism you held when you were a Cheerio fed child of Reagan's America, Teen Titans was about how the people who hold power over you not only can and will hurt you, but given power, you will hurt someone too. By the time Things Change ends, there really is very little difference between the Titan cast and the adult villains...after that victorious bruhaha, you get one more episode telling you how wrong you are for trying to make people fit your life.

I appreciate Go. I was online a lot during the time the Murakami show was in vogue...and nobody really understood it. Things Change was "lame", they kept trying to give Red X an identity (because you know, in an abstract show where nobody has a civilian identity, fans actually thought Red X having a tangible civilian identity would somehow make his reappearance make more sense). Teen Titans was NEVER a show its own fanbase understood, where it was one of the few action cartoons to actually dig into the abstract and near avante-garde, and its own fanbase kept wanting to do things like logic it into the wider DCAU or push it into a little literalized box contrary to its own thematic DNA. The fact that Teen Titans Go is widely disliked by a lot of turbonerds now should be seen in the context of the original show's reception: people really liked it while hating everything actually unique about it. The Return of Slade, TTG's ultimate send up to the pining of nostalgia from its audience, really IS right on the money. The people who're nostalgic about it don't really remember the show. But it'd take it one step further and say they NEVER understood it, either.

Go follows up pretty well on Things Change's thesis statement; the idea that Beast Boy was never really in love with Terra but maybe was in love with the IDEA of Terra. Or more charitably, Beast Boy was such a broken person that the only way to remember Terra was not to remember her as she was, but to remember her as the person he wanted to make her. Terra's perception of the Titans is confirmed as true by TTG's writing, where each of them are rendered their worst. Robin is a neurotic creeper, Cyborg is too obsessed with 80's nostalgia, Beast Boy refuses to grow up to the point where he damages those around him, Starfire's upbringing was so horrible she forces herself to always be happy, and Raven (in a pitch perfect parody of kidvid and superhero nerds) invests herself way too much in the preservation of the morality and innocence of a Saturday morning cartoon but refuses to uphold those values in her daily life. The show pretty deceptively embraces the more lighthearted and great comedic episodes of the first show, but with all the arcs of the dramatic episodes woven into the comedy.

I love the revelation in The Fourth Wall, that Control Freak was the one who actually rebooted the previous reality to create the world Go exists in and how none of it is going like he intended. That, sometime after Things Change, the world changed and the Titans abused this opportunity to finally, truly indulge the worst of themselves with no repercussions. The series before it was ALWAYS about how its characters were horrible broken people contending with abusers trying to change them and walking out of the fire baptized by blood and being just as abusive to people around them (primarily Terra). Go COMPLETELY embraces that characterization, if mostly by accident, but I guess you'd have to ask Jelenic and Horvath, and embraces the characters as the worst of their original personalities as a giant skewering, lampooning, and violent devastation of the need for nostalgia. Teen Titans Go gleefully punishes you for being a 90's KIIIIIIIIIIIIIID 420 GIT MUNNY by making an entire series out of the really bad, shameful parts of your beloved characters and playing it entirely for laughs. I love Teen Titans Go.

And funny thing, really? As much as I was kidding about Mega Man Boom, considering that Megaman is ALSO a franchise about children having their identities twisted and conformed by adults seeking to accomplish great things and fulfill their lives while also having an incredibly clingy fanbase that can't bare to let go of its childhood, the Go approach actually WOULD make perfect sense!
Mordum
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!