Thoughts on the "New" Mobius

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Thoughts on the "New" Mobius

Postby GentlemanX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:10 pm

I feel I'm retreading old ground, but I have no idea whether or not I've discussed this particular point to you before, so I apologize if we've already had this dance. By "looming sword of damocles" you mean the elements made by Penders. The universal argument pro-reboot is that it was to avoid another "Endangered Species", a story that was ripped apart by characters suddenly vanishing and an environment of various name changes. Understand that I'm not wanting to discuss "Endangered Species" with my next comment, my problem with "Endangered Species" is not that the echidnas were removed from it so much as how the story decided to spend its time afterward. I thought the echidna removal in the arc was actually rather well done, barring a little believability. The failure of the story in terms of content I blame more on how sudden the rewrite must have occurred, seeing as 243 was more or less left alone, and not in the removal process itself. I believe that if Ian had more time to work with, "Endangered Species" would have been a lot better story, even without the echidnas.

That's my logic, so now I'm applying it here. If a rushed change to everything Penders/other writers related elements were to happen, I'd agree that the results wouldn't have looked that good. But given the time to properly sort through everything, I think you'd be able to tell a good story with it. In my example I do intend to address the "looming sword of damocles", just not right away so the story isn't rushed. I imagine moving Team Fighters to Efrika and having them go on several adventures trying to make their way back to New Mobotropolis. Along the way, they could pick up say Bunnie and Sally before coming home. The New Mobotroplis they return to would be significantly different, I'm thinking along the lines of say old Robotroplis. Devastated, many characters have been lost, with those that can still appear being around (Rotor, Nicole, Big, maybe Mina). None of those characters would be mentioned by name, there's too many to count, and the status quo would have changed so immensely that the story can immediately go in another direction. It's similar to what we're getting now, the only difference? Continuity is kept in tact, change being accomplished in universe.

In that way, the reboot feels to me like throwing the baby out with the bath water. You could set the baby on the counter for a bit while you dump the water, but instead you decide to get a new baby (dark). If you think that's "putting them in limbo" and don't like it, I understand why my plan sounds bad to you. I acknowledged back when I first suggested it that there would be people that wouldn't like it. It's what I would have liked though, which was my point.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:16 pm

So your plan here is to, in a Sonic comic, have a massive b-- never mind we've discussed this as well before.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby BlueBlur62391 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Am I the only human being here that knows that regaining the old memories disrupts the new ones? Why else would Tails be shocked by the Mutt?
BlueBlur62391
BumbleNoble

Postby Damo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:25 pm

I'm just happy to hear there was a positive effort to ensure the SatAM Freedom Fighters stayed in the book.

It just wouldn't be the same book without Sally, Antoine, Bunny, Nicole, Rotor, and Dulcy.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Daisetsu » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Damo wrote:It just wouldn't be the same book without [...] and Dulcy.

You're right, it's better without her.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:30 pm

Damo wrote:Dulcy.

Blugghghg, I hope not! Oh dear, how I hope she's gone forever.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:30 pm

No, because she contributed so much to it.

...Like Deux Ex Machinas in Endgame and abusive boyfriend plotlines.

I like the ol' girl, but even I'd say she wasn't utilised properly, probably ever.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby therealfalconpawnch7 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:37 pm

Billcipher45 wrote:Am I the only human being here that knows that regaining the old memories disrupts the new ones? Why else would Tails be shocked by the Mutt?

That fact is kinda overshadowed by the New Memories starting to gain prominence.
therealfalconpawnch7
BumbleKnight

Postby SurrealBrain » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Billcipher45 wrote:Am I the only human being here that knows that regaining the old memories disrupts the new ones? Why else would Tails be shocked by the Mutt?

Howdy.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Damo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Meliden wrote:No, because she contributed so much to it.

...Like Deux Ex Machinas in Endgame.

Looking back at Endgame without wearing the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia, Dulcy contributed about as much to it being a well-written story as anyone else.

Dot dot dot.

I will say this, though: one of my favorite things on the book over the past few years has been watching Ian take some characters that were either seriously underdeveloped or seriously flawed characters, and making them actually cool and fun. And due to recent unpleasantness, he has even greater freedom to retool characters, unencumbered by problematic older stories. I'd be interested in at least seeing what he could come up with for Dulcy and a few of the other Scrappies he still has at his disposal.

Gopher Highwayman, anyone?
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby The KKM » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:28 pm

I'd like to see Dulcy get reinvented, but I admit it's hard to even guess how to do so
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Xeric » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:34 pm

She should've just been reintroduced as one of the Freedom Fighters again in Countdown to Chaos or something. I never understood why she was never a member of the Freedom Fighters in the book like she was in SatAM.

Also I like how you're all "Dulcy shouldn't come back!" when she hasn't been given a chance in the book yet; Ian's done wonders with 'hated' characters in the past so hopefully he'll done wonders with her. Didn't he say on the Charity Livestream that he's found something for her now?
Xeric
BumbleKnight

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Only if she's given a better design.

And a better personality.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:29 am

He's also known for knowing that some characters are better off just gone. Sometimes characters just aren't good no matter how you twist them.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby SurrealBrain » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:37 am

Let's just see what happens. Whether or not Dulcy returns, that's up to Ian and/or whoever's in charge.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius