Thoughts on the "New" Mobius

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Thoughts on the "New" Mobius

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:38 pm

Some people are glad they have Game locations now after years of avoiding them because...because.

Ian's been adding game locations since "Darkest Storm" and you're expecting me to be excited about something the comic's been doing since 2006 touted around as something new and exciting?

And as others have been saying, there's nothing being done with them. And even when we're getting the new designs of the freedom fighters, we get Sonic going "oooh look you look different, here have your old personality back!" then we get like zilch of their personality or backstory from this world.

And even if we do get something from this world, it's told entirely through word balloons. Because people read comics to read cool and interesting stuff in the word balloons, am I right? There's a little writing technique called "show don't tell" and we're being shown nothing but set pieces and new outfits and that's about it.

Maybe its better for the kids who aren't following the comics on the internet, but we pretty much know everything that's happening in this arc since last year. The only thing that could happen would be if Ian DOESN'T do a Sonic Unleashed adaption, and even then it'll make me scratch my head and go "what's the point?"

And yes, it goes without saying that this is all boring to me, but when it comes to me spending my money on a product, I think that is the most important part. So far I see nothing that warrants any continued readership on my part and that saddens me because i've been reading the comic for years.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby The Swordsman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Thats because were still in the world building process, right now the focus is getting the team back together reintroducig the whole world and cast is going to take time to do right. I rather have things done right, plus Ian has write around everything that Penders has ever done.
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen

Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Postby Dub » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:54 pm

He doesn't have to write "around" anything if what he was writing around before ain't even there no more. Just sayin' :)
Dub
BumbleCreative

Postby The Swordsman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Yeah your right... :oops:
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen

Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:15 pm

ShadowBat20 wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:There doesn't really seem to be anything in this new mobius that's interesting.

To you. You keep forgetting to point out that it's not interesting to you.

Just got 255

Oh look, another game location, how nice...

Some people are glad they have Game locations now after years of avoiding them because...because.

This is true. I, for one, am very happy to see more and more game locations in the comics.

Elated.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Kevin160nitroncaron3 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:30 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:There doesn't really seem to be anything in this new mobius that's interesting.

Just got 255

Oh look, another game location, how nice...

Oh that really doesn’t interest you? Tell me that you watched Family Guy last week where Brian Griffin the dog got killed off because I loved the episode. :D Especially that a new dog is replacing him. :( Too bad Ian could not do that at all for the echidnas and Saffron. Pretty soon every Sonic issue will be Sonic running through a game level. Surely the Family Guy episode made up for your disappointment.
Kevin160nitroncaron3
BumbleCitizen

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Dub wrote:He doesn't have to write "around" anything if what he was writing around before ain't even there no more. Just sayin' :)

Unless you consider a reboot beam a "write around". Just sayin'. :)
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Dub wrote:He doesn't have to write "around" anything if what he was writing around before ain't even there no more. Just sayin' :)

So are we to assume from this statement then that the reason that we haven't seen any Non-Penders Non-Ian material from archie is because it's already been solidified that we will never see it again?

Oh that really doesn’t interest you?

IT interested me back when Ian started doing it in the 160s and 170s. By the time he was showing off Oil Ocean in the 200s, it was already part of his schtick. This is nothing new for Ian.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Dub » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:48 pm

I dont consider it a write around, actually. I consider it a fresh start and a way out of a profoundly convoluted mess that the current writing team didn't have a hand in creating. I never said it didn't have its own messes attached to it but that's a discussion in and of itself and one that we have to deal with as time goes forward.

So are we to assume from this statement then that the reason that we haven't seen any Non-Penders Non-Ian material from archie is because it's already been solidified that we will never see it again?

...Really?
Dub
BumbleCreative

Postby TurboTailz » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:So are we to assume from this statement then that the reason that we haven't seen any Non-Penders Non-Ian material from archie is because it's already been solidified that we will never see it again?

Too soon to tell. Everything is still up in flames and haven't been cooled down. Once the flames are out maybe we will get a glimpse on who stays or out.

I just accept it as they've been put on temporarily hold until further notice. It could be awhile like a long time until we get to see them again or not.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Dub wrote:

...Really?

Dub for real? You know you can't say anything sarcastic on here. Everything's super serious yo.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Dub wrote:I dont consider it a write around, actually. I consider it a fresh start and a way out of a profoundly convoluted mess that the current writing team didn't have a hand in creating. I never said it didn't have its own messes attached to it but that's a discussion in and of itself and one that we have to deal with as time goes forward.

...Really?

Sorry...

Issue 255 really upset me. I'm gonna relax a bit and take some time away from stuff related to the comic
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:48 pm

Dub wrote:I dont consider it a write around, actually. I consider it a fresh start and a way out of a profoundly convoluted mess that the current writing team didn't have a hand in creating. I never said it didn't have its own messes attached to it but that's a discussion in and of itself and one that we have to deal with as time goes forward.

I'd consider it a fresh start if we had gotten a hard reboot free of the attempt at story continuation "At All Costs, Part Two" and "Countdown to Chaos" have been plagued by. I am interested in how you guys handle some messy subjects going forward, but my expectations at the moment are extraordinarily low. Specifically referring to Knuckles.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Dub » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:14 am

Start completely free with no acknowledgement of anything that came before it. Confuse and anger those expecting and demanding resolution.
Start with a full connection to what came before, dance around it like Endangered Species and figure it out messily as we go along. Prolong an already messy way of writing while we figure things out, risk losing readers to crappy and unnecessary fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants writing. Confuse and anger everybody including ourselves.
Start with a very minimal connection to what came before, tie up the resolution off as best as we can, move on immediately with new stuff and rebuild as we go.
Start with entirley new numbering, forget everything that came before. Alienate those that stuck with the old story giving them a non ending
Start with entirely new numbering, keep everything that came before. Why did you start with new numbering?
Keep old numbering, acknowledging what came prior. Still a non-ending but at least it fades with a whimper than with a bang. Sort of conclusion and a way out if in some way, we ever get to go back. Not likely but you never know.
Keep old numbering, never acknowledge what came prior before moving on. Why did you bother keeping the old numbering?

Tomato tomato potato potato

I'm pretty sure there about 6 or 7 other scenarios that can be listed here that you aren't even privy to or you could probably list -- none of which, I can guarantee you, remain viable in some major or minute way.

This is a situation where no matter what we'd have done someone or some group somewhere would wind up thoroughly and totally ticked off about it. That's not me yelling or lecturing or pointing a finger at you -- its a god given fact that that is the way it is. Doubly so given its Sonic fandom where we all know that everyone will nitpick the tiniest things to shreds or complain about the tiniest of things. We went with the option we thought best given the tanglevine situation we were in. Was it the best option? Who knows. Who cares? End of the day it is not that big a deal except for those of the lawyers and the bosses.

Book ain't cancelled, we kept the characters we needed to keep, the story's still secured as best as it can even though its well-known dubious past is in tatters. But what can ya do? We might be the public face of the comic currently, but you all know its not our doing due to what and how things transpired. Our job is to keep the ball rolling as best we can while trying to please a plethora of people who will never ever be pleased.

Cry over spilled milk, pour another glass of milk, just get a drink of water, have some soda. Life goes on, so have we -- take it or leave it. **shrugs** :)
Dub
BumbleCreative

Postby TurboTailz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:34 am

Dub wrote:Book ain't cancelled, we kept the characters we needed to keep

That's the main important part of all cause it could of gone the other way and no one wins. So I am grateful and appreciating that it's still here ongoing.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius